Serves: 6/ Prep time: 5 minutes/ Cook time: 45 minutes/ Difficulty: Medium
1 tin (397g) Tropical Sun Condensed Milk
5 limes, juice and zest
3 eggs, yolk and white separated
1 Vanilla pod
15g icing sugar
250g chin chin*
100g butter, melted
*you can find this at your local African grocer
Loose bottomed tart tin (23cm)
Plastic food bags
Electric mixer/ whisk
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/ 320°F/ Gas Mark 3.
- For the base, grease and line a loose-bottomed tart tin with baking parchment paper.
- Put the chin chin in a plastic food bag and crush to crumbs. In a mixing bowl pour the melted butter over the chin chin crumbs.
- Press the base evenly into the tart tin, ensuring the base is firmly pressed up the sides.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- For the filling, cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways. Holding onto the tip of the pod, scrape out the seeds using the back of a kitchen knife.
- Put egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk for a minute with electric beaters.
- Add condensed milk and whisk for 3 minutes, then add the zest and juice of limes and whisk again for 3 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the cooled base then put back in the oven for 15 minutes.
- During this time, beat the egg whites until stiff. When they are almost firm, stir in the icing sugar and continue to whisk until the whites are firm and you have a meringue.
- Cover the tart with the meringue then continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve cold.