Serves: 8/ Prep time: 15 minutes/ Cook time: 30 minutes/ Difficulty: Easy/ Suitability: Vegan
Hands up if you’ve eaten Athiéké! 🙌 A fresh take on a classic Ivorian staple, West-Africa gari is steamed to give it a light and fluffy texture, similar to couscous, and then mixed with finely chopped fresh vegetables and herbs for maximum texture and flavour. The perfect dish for Veganuary!
Ingredients300g Tropical Sun Ijebu Gari
150ml olive oil
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 romano pepper, diced
2 spring onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun Onion Powder
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun Smoked Paprika
50g parsley, chopped
50g mint, chopped
50g dill, chopped
15ml lemon juice, to taste
- Bring water to the boil in a medium sized saucepan. When it comes to the boil place a colander or sieve on top.
- Cut a round disc of parchment paper and place inside the colander. Then put the gari on top and seal tightly with foil.
- Cook for approx 15 minutes until the gari has become light and fluffy like couscous.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, mix well and season. Finish with lemon juice to your taste.
- You can mix the vegetables with the athieke or serve them both separately.