Serves: 2 | Cook time: 30 mins | Difficulty: Easy | Suitability: Vegan
There are very few foods that smell as INCREDIBLE as jerk. That is a fact! Beyond the jerk classics: chicken, pork and fish, jerk flavours are finding their way into cuisines across the world. We’ve received messages from aunties in Nigeria using our jerk seasoning paste in their stews and from uni students in America mixing it with mayo in their burritos. So we reached out to the legends BOSH! to put our jerk to work – and they did not disappoint!
Check out their super simple, spicy vegan spaghetti bolognese recipe below! – and when you cook it up, be sure to tag us in your creations!
BEFORE YOU START
You will need:
Large pan for spaghetti
Large sauté pan
6 spring onions
4 sun dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sun dried tomato oil (replace with olive oil if not to hand)
300g vegan mince
1-2 tbsp Tropical Sun Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Paste, depending on how hot you like it!
2 tbsp tomato puree
175ml red wine
400g chopped tomatoes
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste
100ml pasta water
- Prepare the ingredients. Trim and finely dice the spring onion. Finely slice the sun dried tomatoes. Peel and grate the garlic.
- Make the bolognese sauce. Add the oils to a large pan and warm over a medium heat. Add the spring onion and a pinch of salt to the pan and stir for 1 minute. Add in the garlic and sun dried tomatoes and stir for 2 minutes. Break the vegan mince into the pan and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add in the Tropical Sun Jamaican Jerk Seasoning and tomato puree and stir for 2 minutes. Add in the red wine, turn up the heat, stir to combine and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes and the bay leaf, stir to combine, reduce the heat, put the lid on slightly ajar and leave to simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the sauce from catching. Taste the sauce and season with salt, pepper and sugar
- Prepare the spaghetti. As the sauce simmers, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water for 8-9 minutes (or 1 minute under packet instructions). Save 100ml of pasta water.
- Prepare to serve. Drain the pasta and transfer it to the sauce pot with the reserved pasta water. Use tongs to twist the spaghetti into the sauce to cover and coat.
- Plate up the spaghetti, dress the plate with rocket, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, season with cracked black pepper and serve immediately!