Serves: 4/ Prep time: 5 minutes/ Cook time: 20 minutes/ Difficulty: Easy/ Suitability: vegan
This bowl will bring you a ray of Caribbean sunshine to your table! The rice & peas packed with lots of different flavours; the sweetness of the coconut milk, the fieriness from the scotch bonnet and the warm earthy flavour from allspice. Although delicious on its own try to pair it with sweet and crispy plantains, fresh and crunchy cabbage slaw and some creamy avocado, a bowl of joy which you will want to make over and over again!
For the rice & peas:
1 tin (400g) of Tropical Sun Organic Coconut Milk
1 bunch of spring onions - finely chopped
2 thyme sprigs
2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
1 scotch bonnet chilli
1 tin of Tropical Sun Gungo Peas
Salt to taste
For the plantains:
2 plantains - final sliced
2 tbsp of Tropical Sun Coconut Oil, melted
Salt and pepper to taste
For the roasted peppers:
2 bell peppers - chopped
A drizzle of olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
red cabbage finely sliced
A squeeze of lime juice
A drizzle of Tropical Sun Original Hot Pepper Sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 200°C. Spread the plantain slices onto a baking tray covered in parchment paper. Drizzle with the coconut oil, salt and pepper. Toss the plantain so they are evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the chopped peppers to a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and place them in the oven as well for around 20 minutes until cooked.
- In the meantime prepare the rice & peas. Rinse the Tropical Sun USA Easy Cooked Rice in plenty of cold water, then tip it into a large saucepan. Add the coconut milk, spring onions, thyme sprigs, garlic, the scotch bonnet chilli (whole) and ground allspice.
- Season with a generous pinch of salt, add 300ml cold water and set over high heat. Once the rice starts to boil, turn it down to a medium heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add the Tropical Sun Gungo Peas to the rice, then cover with a lid. Leave off the heat for 5 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and remove the whole scotch bonnet.
- Serve the rice & peas with the roasted peppers, plantain, sliced cabbage, avocado, chopped coriander and a drizzle of chilli sauce (optional).