Serves: 4/ Prep time: 5 minutes/ Cook time: 20 minutes/ Difficulty: Easy/ Suitability: vegan
Who loves rice and peas?! Oh, ALL of you?! A classic Caribbean side dish, it is often eaten alongside jerk chicken, curry goat and chicken and ackee and saltfish, but it’s just as suited to a vegan stew peas or chickpea curry.
Made with Tropical Sun Easy Cook USA Rice, this version of the recipe is a breeze to cook, as the rice is steamed before it is milled, cutting the cooking time dramatically!
For the rice & peas:
200g of Tropical Sun USA Easy Cooked Rice
1 tin (400g) of Tropical Sun Organic Coconut Milk
1 bunch of spring onions - finely chopped
2 thyme sprigs
2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
1 scotch bonnet chilli
1 tsp of Tropical Sun Ground Pimento (Allspice)
1 tin of Tropical Sun Gungo Peas
Salt to taste
For the plantains:
2 plantains - final sliced
2 tbsp of Tropical Sun Coconut Oil, melted
Salt and pepper to taste
For the roasted peppers:
2 bell peppers - chopped
A drizzle of olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
red cabbage finely sliced
A squeeze of lime juice
A drizzle of Tropical Sun Original Hot Pepper Sauce (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 200°C. Spread the plantain slices onto a baking tray covered in parchment paper. Drizzle with the coconut oil, salt and pepper. Toss the plantain so they are evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are soft.
- Add the chopped peppers to a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and place them in the oven as well for around 20 minutes until cooked.
- In the meantime prepare the rice & peas. Rinse the Tropical Sun USA Easy Cooked Rice in plenty of cold water, then tip it into a large saucepan. Add the coconut milk, spring onions, thyme sprigs, garlic, the scotch bonnet chilli (whole) and ground allspice.
- Season with a generous pinch of salt, add 300ml cold water and set over high heat. Once the rice starts to boil, turn it down to a medium heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add the Tropical Sun Gungo Peas to the rice, then cover with a lid. Leave off the heat for 5 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and remove the whole scotch bonnet.
- Serve the rice & peas with the roasted peppers, plantain, sliced cabbage, avocado, chopped coriander and a drizzle of chilli sauce (optional).