Serves: 4 / Prep time: 30 minutes / Cook time: 15 minutes / Difficulty: Easy / Suitability: Vegan
This easy and tasty Jackfruit Burger with Coriander & Cabbage Slaw Recipe is a mouth-watering vegan meat alternative for all things burger related! It’s jam packed with sweet and smoky flavors that will get you drooling and going back for seconds... seriously. Jackfruit originates from Southern India and is known for its meatiness texture, which is why it’s so great for our vegan family!
4 burger buns
1 tin Tropical Sun Jackfruit in Brine, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons Tropical Sun Rapeseed Oil
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Tropical Sun Smoked Paprika
1/2 tablespoon Tropical Sun Coriander Seeds
1/2 tablespoon Tropical Sun Cumin Seeds
1 tablespoon marmite
5 tablespoons Tropical Sun Classic BBQ sauce
1/4 head cabbage (white, sweetheart or red), finely shredded
Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons mayonnaise, vegan if needed
Pinch of salt
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
For the Jackfruit:
- Cut the cores off all the pieces of jackfruit. Finely chop the cores and set aside. Use your hands to crush each piece of jackfruit to help it to shred into meat-like pieces. Remove any seeds that pop out and discard.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Once hot add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened – about 10 minutes. Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the jackfruit you prepared earlier. Turn the heat up to high and use the spoon you’re stirring with to smash the pieces of jackfruit so it shreds even more. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute to toast them. Turn the heat down to low.
- Mix the marmite and BBQ sauce with 100ml of water in a small bowl or mug, it doesn’t have to be smooth. Pour this into the frying pan and stir into the jackfruit until it’s all coated with the sauce.
- You can serve the jackfruit like this but I prefer to take an extra step to improve the texture: Preheat your oven to 200 C (180 C fan). Spread the cooked jackfruit out on a baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to help it get browned and chewy.
For the Slaw:
- Combine the cabbage and salt in a medium bowl. Scrunch it with your hands for a minute or so to help the cabbage break down a bit. Add the coriander, red onion and mayonnaise. Mix to coat.
- Split the burger buns in half and toast them. Serve the warm jackfruit and slaw in the buns.