Serves: 4 | Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Difficulty: Medium
Jamaica and Turkey – two of the best countries for food, no question! 🇯🇲🇹🇷 Sharing a love for spice and high-quality ingredients, these two cuisines were destined to meet – and there is no better talent to make it happen than the highly creative Dee’s Table! 🌿
Combining a nutritious Jamaican leafy vegetable with a warm, doughy Turkish flatbread, we present to you the (possibly) world’s first… Callaloo Gözleme
284g (2 cups) flour
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup plain yogurt
⅓ cup & 1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon salt
2 x 280g tins Tropical Sun Callaloo
⅔ cup (80g) Feta or Grated Cheese
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Tropical Sun Vinegar
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon Tropical Sun Chilli Flakes
1 teaspoon Tropical Sun Allspice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start by mixing flour and salt together in a stand mixer bowl. In a bowl or measuring jug add yogurt, olive oil and water and combine.
- On a low setting with a dough hook attachment, slowly add the wet mixture, and bring up to a medium speed. Allow to knead in the stand mixer for 5-6 minutes till the dough is elastic and springs to touch.
- If kneading by hand simply add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix with a wooden spoon till it comes together and then knead in the bowl for a few minutes by hand for 5-8 minutes.
- Once kneaded it should become elastic and less sticky. Rest the dough for 1 hr, covered in plastic wrap.
- Rinse and drain callaloo well, and ring as much liquid out of it using a clean kitchen cloth or nut milk bag. Set aside.
- In a frying pan heat the tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat, saute the peppers and onion for 5-6 minutes minutes until softened. Add garlic, cook for a further minute.
- Add the chilli flakes, Worcestershire sauce, allspice and allow to toast a little for another minute. Add the callaloo and vinegar, allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside to cool for 15 minutes in a bowl. Once cooled, dice the block of feta cheese, and combine.
- Take the ball of dough, roll into a log and cut four equal pieces.
- On a floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle, on one half of the rectangle, add some of the filling, flatten to spread leaving a little edge in the dough.
- Fold the sides length ways in, then take the other side of the dough, and fold in onto the filled side. Crimp to seal and set aside on a flour baking sheet.
- Repeat till you’ve made all four of them.
- In a frying pan, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil on a medium low heat, fry gözleme one at a time.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on the first side, having a peak underneath so it doesn’t burn. Flip on the other side and cook for another 3-4. Repeat till they’re all cooked.
- Slice each gözleme into four and serve with a wedge of lemon. Enjoy!