Serves: 4-5 people as a side | Cook Time: 35 mins | Difficulty: Easy | Suitability: Vegan
Sweet AND savoury, these candied carrots are the perfect addition to your Christmas plate. Packed with protein, fibre and healthy fats, they're just as nutritious as they are delicious!
For the carrots:
- 700g chantenay or baby carrots
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Tropical Sun Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Tropical Sun Organic Coconut Sugar
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
For the crumble:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g pecans - roughly chopped
- 40g hazelnuts - roughly chopped
- A small bunch of sage leaves (about 10g)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Tropical Sun Organic Coconut Sugar
- Crack of Tropical Sun Whole Black Pepper
- A generous handful of pomegranate seeds
- Add the carrots to a large baking tray together with the olive oil, cinnamon, sugar, salt and pepper. Toss until the carrots are evenly coated and place in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- In the meantime, make the crumble. Add the olive oil to a frying pan and once hot, add in the pecans, hazelnuts and sage leaves. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes until the nuts are slightly golden.
- Add in the soy sauce and sugar. Mix together well and cook for 3-4 minutes until the nuts are sticky and glossy. Season with a crack of pepper.
- Transfer to a plate covered with parchment paper and allow to cool down completely. Once cold break it down into chunks.
- Add the roasted carrots to a serving plate and sprinkle on top the nut crumble and pomegranate seeds!