Serves: 16 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time:1 hour 15 minutes | Difficulty: Medium
Christmas just wouldn’t be complete without cake! Whilst Classic British Christmas Cake is nice, its Caribbean descendent is unquestionably more flavourful and better suited to those with tropical tastebuds. Packed with mixed fruits and oozing dark rum, this vegan-friendly recipe from Happy Skin Kitchen will keep everyone at the table happy and full of festive cheer. Don’t forget to leave a slice out for Santa!
22cm bundt tin cake
560g of Tropical Sun Plain Flour
200g of mixed dried fruit
5 medjol dates - pitted and chopped into small pieces
150ml of dark rum
1 teaspoon of Tropical Sun Baking Powder
1 teaspoon of Tropical Sun Bicarbonate Of Soda
1 teaspoon of Tropical Sun Ground Cinnamon
2 teaspoons of Tropical Sun Mixed Spice
A pinch of salt
175g of silken tofu - drained
100ml of oat milk
250g of vegan butter + extra for greasing
4 tablespoons of Tropical Sun Browning
- Add the mix dried fruit and chopped dates to a bowl. Pour over the rum. Mix everything together and let it sit to macerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C/ 356°F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Using some vegan butter grease really well the bundt tin. Dust it with some very fine bread crumbs, this way you will be sure the cake won’t stick to the tin.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, mixed spice, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Melt the vegan butter by putting it in the microwave for 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- To a blender add the silken tofu and oat milk and blend until very smooth.
- To the bowl with the flour add in the melted vegan butter, dried fruit soaked in rum (rum included) and the silken tofu mixture.
- Gently mix everything together. Try not to over mix it so the cake will be light and fluffy.
- Transfer the cake batter to the tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it sit in the tin for 20 minutes before removing from the tin and let it cool down completely on a baking rack.
- Enjoy as it is or dust it with a some icing sugar.