Serves: 2 (or 1 hungry person) | Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
Who doesn’t love a bit of tofu in their lives? Better yet, who doesn’t love CRISPY tofu in their lives?! This recipe from Verna Gao will spark your cravings for something both naughty and nice. With classic Asian flavour bombs of soy, garlic, chilli and a lil bit of sweetness to balance the flavours, this dish will have you going back for second and third helpings!
350g firm tofu, pressed and chopped into cubes
50g cornflour, or more if needed
2 tablespoons Tropical Sun Vegetable Oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey, or sugar
1 teaspoon Tropical Sun Minced Garlic Paste
1/2 tablespoon chilli oil (optional)
Garnish: chopped spring onions, sesame seeds.
- Remove tofu from packaging and drain. If tofu needs pressing, wrap a sheet of kitchen towel and place some heavy plates on top and leave to drain for 30 mins.
- Chop the drained tofu into bite-size cubes, and cover generously in cornflour on all sides.
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and minced garlic together and set aside.
- Heat up a frying pan with the vegetable oil and sesame oil, and lightly fry the tofu pieces until golden on all sides. Try not to move the tofu too much and let it brown, only move it to prevent burning.
- Once tofu is crispy, add in the sauce mix and combine thoroughly in the pan. Add in the chilli oil if desired and mix through.
- Serve and garnish with some chopped spring onions and sesame seeds, and enjoy with some steamed rice and vegetables.