Serves: 4 | Prep time: 10 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Difficulty: Easy | Suitability: Vegetarian
Thick, gooey, and certainly not part of your keto diet, tuck into Izy Hossack's fluffy, American-style chocolate pancakes - topped off with Tropical Sun Coconut Treacle!
150g plain white flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 ½ tsp Tropical Sun Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Tropical Sun Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of salt
200ml plain natural yoghurt
50ml strong, brewed coffee, cooled
2 medium eggs
2 tbsp Tropical Sun Vegetable Oil, plus more for frying
To serve: Fresh fruit and Tropical Sun Coconut Treacle
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add in the yoghurt, coffee, eggs and vegetable oil then mix until you get a thick batter.
- Once you’ve mixed the batter you’ll need to cook the pancakes as soon as possible, otherwise the raising agents will lose their effectiveness and the pancakes won’t rise as much.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat with a small amount of vegetable oil. Pour in heaped tablespoons of batter to form each pancake. Allow to cook until the top of the batter looks set and the underside is darkened and looks crispy. Flip the pancakes over and let them cook until the other side is slightly darkened too.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a baking tray and keep warm in an oven on low heat while you cook the rest.
- Serve the pancakes warm with fresh fruit, drizzled with coconut treacle.