Serves: 4 / Ready in: 1hr 30mins / Difficulty: Easy / Suitability: Vegan
Jambalaya originated in Louisiana, USA, and brings together a wide range of influences including French, Spanish, West African, Amerindian and Haitian. In this unique twist on the classic one-pot dish, PlantBased Mag have incorporated some Jamaican flavour: breadfruit, jerk spices and kidney beans for a Caribbean twist!
Cook and serve in a Jamaica Sun Dutch Pot for that rustic satisfaction!
1 tin (560g) (20oz) Tropical Sun Breadfruit, drained and diced
1 tin (540g) (19oz) Tropical Sun Young, Green Jackfruit, drained and diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, pureed
2 red peppers, thinly sliced
1 tin (400g) Tropical Sun Italian Chopped Tomatoes
360ml (1½ cup) Tropical Sun Vegetable Stock
1 tin (165ml) (⅔ cup) Tropical Sun Coconut Milk
1 tin (400g) (14oz) Tropical Sun Red Kidney Beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas 6
- In a large bowl, mix together the breadfruit, jackfruit, jerk seasoning and one tablespoon of the olive oil. Transfer to a baking tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the Dutch pot over a medium heat, then add in the white onion, celery, garlic, red peppers, Creole seasoning, paprika and cayenne pepper, stirring for 3 - 4 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, rice, vegetable stock, coconut milk and kidney beans, stir together and simmer for 30-35 minutes until the liquid has mostly absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Finally, add the roasted breadfruit and jackfruit to the Dutch pot and stir well.
- Serve - and enjoy!