Serves: 8 / Prep time: 10 minutes / Cook time: 30-40 minutes / Difficulty: Easy
Jam-packed full of vegetables and spices, this vegan okro stew is as nourishing as it is delicious. Rich in dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals and is most commonly served alongside banku or rice.
200g palm oil
1 red onion
1 Scotch bonnet
3 garlic cloves
1 butternut squash
30ml olive oil
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun All Purpose Seasoning
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun Celery Salt
1 teaspoon Tropical Sun Crushed Red Chillies
1 lemon zest
3 sprigs thyme
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun Pimento (ground)
500g Okro (1cm dice)
1 teaspoon potash/ Tropical Sun Bicarbonate Of Soda
- On a medium heat. Heat the palm oil until smoke begins to appear and the oil changes colour.
- Fry the red onion in the palm oil until soft, then add the blended onion, ginger, scotch bonnet, garlic and tomatoes.
- Cook the sauce until the liquid has reduced and the palm oil separates at the top of the pan.
- Put the okro, bicarbonate of soda and cold water in a separate pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 mins then add to the sauce.
- Season the butternut squash with the olive oil, all purpose seasoning, celery salt, crushed red chillies, lemon zest, thyme and pimento.
- Roast the butternut squash for approx 12-15 mins. While roasting add the spinach to the stew and wilt.
- Once the butternut squash is cooked add into the okro stew and stir gently.
- Simmer for 10 mins then remove from the heat and allow to cool.